2021 Holiday gift guide
By Hank McSheehy, Reporter
The holidays are a great way to spend time with family and friends while feeling that winter cheer… most of the time. A common dilemma that people face during this wonderful time of the year is finding the right presents to get for someone. Gift buying can be daunting and sometimes pricey, so here are some recommendations for finding that best gift.
1. Something that relates to their hobby
The place to start if you don’t have a clue what to get them is giving a gift that goes with their hobby. If they play a sport like soccer, you can get them cleats or a nice sports jersey of their favorite soccer team. For the ones that like to cook, you can give them a new stainless-steel frying pan or a new fancy kitchen knife. If they love to collect some sort of item, expand their collection and get them something to add. There’s endless possibilities and you can’t really go wrong with this.
2. A product that can be used for a long time
One mistake that some people often make when buying a gift for someone is that the person might use it up quickly and it won’t mean as much to them anymore. If they can use the product for a longer time, they’ll appreciate it more and you’ll feel like it got more use out of it. Some examples would be as simple as clothes or shoes, books if they love to read, or a new plant for plant lovers. If you do this, it’ll get better use out of it, and they’ll treasure it for longer.
3. Something that they might not need to buy for themselves
I know this might sound like a no-brainer, but it’s true. Many people in the world look at something and ask themselves “Do I want this or do I need it?” They usually choose things they “need” but now it’s your turn to get them the thing they “want”. Get them something they wouldn’t necessarily buy for themselves because it isn’t as important to them at that time. If they ever talked about getting this one accessory for their car but they don’t need it, get it for them. No harm done.
4. Secretly shop for their gift with them
This is always a fun idea and get’s the person who you’re getting for laughing when they realize what you did. Go shopping with them at a mall or some stores that they like and while you’re walking with them, analyze what they’re looking at. If they ever say they like this but they don’t get it, BINGO! You got your gift. Another way is to say that you’re shopping for someone that has the same interests as them, and tell the person what they would recommend or get themselves. This method is fun, but trying to buy the item behind their back can sometimes be hard.
You can’t really go wrong with this gift. It’s pretty simple. You make your gift with your own little touch to it. This could be a bracelet, a necklace, snow globes, or anything artsy. You could also make something that is edible like your own cookie dough, or one of your famous recipes. This idea can also be merged with something that relates to their hobby. This gift idea might need more effort, but it will totally be worth it in the end.
Specific Suggestions: Here are some ideas if you’re not sure what to get after looking at some of the previous prompts.
1. Speaker – This is always nice to have wherever you are and you’ll use it more than you think. Blasting your favorite songs with your friends whenever you want is always enjoyable.
2. Funny Mug – It may sound lame but it’s such a diverse gift. You can get a mug that has something the person likes, or just get a mug with a flat out abnormal design.
3. Pajamas/Robe – A safe choice if you’re not sure on what to get them. Sometimes a nice new pair of pajamas or robes is all you really need.
4. Wallet – Has your person been walking around with a worn out ten year old wallet that’s falling apart, or doesn’t even have a wallet? Get them one immediately because wallets are always handy.
5. Weighted Blanket – This may sound random but it’s a necessity for everyone. The pressure of the blanket creates a mood-boosting hormone (serotonin), reduces the stress hormones (cortisol), and increases the amount of melatonin that helps you fall asleep.